Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to connect two SQL Server using private network.

Hi All:
I have two SQL Servers physically sitting next to each other. These servers
have Public IPs as 10.10.49.123 and 10.10.49.124. These two servers are also
connected through Cross Over Cables for Private Network and private non
routed IPs are 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. I have SQL Serever Transactional
Replication set up on it and I want to use private network for transferring
data between these two servers. Private network is on 2 Gigabit switch. Non
replication traffic can come vis normal way as it coming currently. Is it
possbile to implement this kind of setup or not? If so, how? Any help or
whitepaper on it will be highly appreciated.
Server 1 is Publisher and Distributor
Server 2 is Subscriber."Mark" <Mark@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DADD0D4A-5010-4A57-ADDA-DE898FCCE68D@.microsoft.com...
> Hi All:
> I have two SQL Servers physically sitting next to each other. These
> servers
> have Public IPs as 10.10.49.123 and 10.10.49.124. These two servers are
> also
> connected through Cross Over Cables for Private Network and private non
> routed IPs are 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. I have SQL Serever
> Transactional
> Replication set up on it and I want to use private network for
> transferring
> data between these two servers. Private network is on 2 Gigabit switch.
> Non
> replication traffic can come vis normal way as it coming currently. Is it
> possbile to implement this kind of setup or not? If so, how? Any help or
> whitepaper on it will be highly appreciated.
> Server 1 is Publisher and Distributor
> Server 2 is Subscriber.
>
Just put entries in the hosts file of each server so when Server 1 goes to
connect to Server 2, its name resolves to 192.168.1.2 and not 10.10.49.123.
David|||I tried this and this didnt work. Why is it that from command prompt on
Server 1, I can ping Server 2's private IP address and yet when I add them
into Host File and then try, it fails.
Anything else that I need to do other than adding entries into Host file?
This is what I did so far.
"David Browne" wrote:

> "Mark" <Mark@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:DADD0D4A-5010-4A57-ADDA-DE898FCCE68D@.microsoft.com...
> Just put entries in the hosts file of each server so when Server 1 goes to
> connect to Server 2, its name resolves to 192.168.1.2 and not 10.10.49.123
.
> David
>
>|||After you add the entry to the host file, if you ping the server by name
which IP is used?
Have you rebooted after changing the host file?
"Mark" <Mark@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F4C36A18-2D24-4A63-96A6-906126167A12@.microsoft.com...
> I tried this and this didnt work. Why is it that from command prompt on
> Server 1, I can ping Server 2's private IP address and yet when I add them
> into Host File and then try, it fails.
> Anything else that I need to do other than adding entries into Host file?
> This is what I did so far.
>
> "David Browne" wrote:
>
are
non
switch.
it
or
to
10.10.49.123.|||Thanks to both for replying to my problem.
It still shows 10.10.49.124. When I try to conenct to SQL Server using
private IP address in Query Analyzer, I get error saying: Unable to connect
to SQL Server. SQL Server doesn't exist or Access denied.
Is it cached or am I missing something.
So, to clearly understand this, all I have to do is add entry in the host
file to the private IP address and it should worlk. Correct' Anything else?
"Jim Underwood" wrote:

> After you add the entry to the host file, if you ping the server by name
> which IP is used?
> Have you rebooted after changing the host file?
> "Mark" <Mark@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F4C36A18-2D24-4A63-96A6-906126167A12@.microsoft.com...
> are
> non
> switch.
> it
> or
> to
> 10.10.49.123.
>
>|||I believe adding the IP to the host file will allow you to refernce the
server by name instead of IP. I would expect that the IP address would work
regardless, assuming your network is setup correctly.
Are you even able to ping the server by IP address? If not then your
network is not set up correctly.
Are you running query analyzer on the server, or on a client that is not
part of the private network?
"Mark" <Mark@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E0B6F1EC-FFE5-4E5B-946F-4E34BE507D71@.microsoft.com...
> Thanks to both for replying to my problem.
> It still shows 10.10.49.124. When I try to conenct to SQL Server using
> private IP address in Query Analyzer, I get error saying: Unable to
connect
> to SQL Server. SQL Server doesn't exist or Access denied.
> Is it cached or am I missing something.
> So, to clearly understand this, all I have to do is add entry in the host
> file to the private IP address and it should worlk. Correct' Anything
else?
> "Jim Underwood" wrote:
>
on
them
file?
These
servers
private
currently. Is
help
goes|||Correct, but it sounds like you have a different issue. If you can't
connect to Server 2 from Server 1 using the internal ip address, then
the host name won't work either. Sounds like either a bad cross-over
cable, or the internal network cards are disabled.

>From server1, with an IP Address of 192.168.1.2, get a command prompt
and ping the other internal IP address (192.168.1.3). If you don't get
a connection, then you got network issues.
Stu|||Thanks guys. Let me work on it and I will put my feedback here. I have to us
e
different cables and see what happens next. It could be a hardware issue mor
e
than a software.
Once again thanks a lot for all your help
"Stu" wrote:

> Correct, but it sounds like you have a different issue. If you can't
> connect to Server 2 from Server 1 using the internal ip address, then
> the host name won't work either. Sounds like either a bad cross-over
> cable, or the internal network cards are disabled.
>
> and ping the other internal IP address (192.168.1.3). If you don't get
> a connection, then you got network issues.
> Stu
>

No comments:

Post a Comment