Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to connect to sql server on another machine through asp.net

Hi All,

I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time. Basically
i have an asp page (on the ISP server) that I want to connect to a sql
server on another machine (on my server) and I have been trying to
figure out how to do this. I tried to connect using an ip address in
the data source and it did not work. The asp.net code looks something
like this:

Conn.Open ("Provider=SQLOLEDB;Password=xxxx;Persist Security
Info=True;User ID=xxxx;Initial Catalog=mssqlxxx;Data
Source=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Network Library=dbmssocn")

That did not work. Gave me an access denied or sql server does not
exist error. I tried playing around with or without the 1433 port,
still no luck.

Is there something I need to set up on sql server in order for me to
connect to this?? Can someone give me some suggestion how i can connect
to another computer?

My ISP offers sql server support and they give me an ip address to
connect directly to the sql server, code looks something like this:

conMyData = New SqlConnection( "Server=xxxxxxxxx.registeredsite.com;
UID=userxxxxxx; PWD=xxxxxx;Database=samplecom" )

now, my question is, how do I set up my sql server to have an ip
address so i can connect??

so i see 2 possible w ays to do this but i have no clue to make this
work. Any help is appreciated.This article might be useful:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment