Monday, March 26, 2012

How to connect to remote MSDE database using VB.NET

Greetings
I have a VB.NET application that works great with a local MSDE database. But, when I try to revise my connection string to point to a remote MSDE server and database, it fails. The MSDE Server Manager can pick up the remote server and tell me its runni
ng, but when I try to register it using SQL Server, or use a DSN to connect to it, I get a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen(Connect())" My connection string is:
Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Server=DSS\VSDOTNET;Database=d atabase;User ID=sa;Password = xxxxx;Integrated Security=SSPI
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks...
- Tim B.
hi Tim
"Tim Balderramos" <pacmantab@.hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:28F08CF8-86CF-4C04-9E5A-900296EC78A7@.microsoft.com...
> Greetings
> I have a VB.NET application that works great with a local MSDE database.
But, when I try
>to revise my connection string to point to a remote MSDE server and
database, it fails. The
>MSDE Server Manager can pick up the remote server and tell me its running,
but when I try
>to register it using SQL Server, or use a DSN to connect to it, I get a
"SQL Server does not
>exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen(Connect())" My connection string
is:
> Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Server=DSS\VSDOTNET;Database=d atabase;User
>ID=sa;Password = xxxxx;Integrated Security=SSPI
the most frequent causes of that kind of error are reported in
http://support.microsoft.com/default...06&Product=sql
KB article...
please verify the remote MSDE instance has enabled networkprotocols too,
using the remote Server Network Utilityes (svrnecn.exe)
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.7.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.53.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||I think that does it. Here is what my co-worker did:
During MSDE setup, use SECURITYMODE=SQL
Then use SVRNETCN.exe and enable TCP/IP as a network library. I did this on
both machines, but you may not need to do it for both (wasn't sure, but didn't
think it mattered).
Here's the connection string that was working -
Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=wrctest;user id=sa;password=wrctest;Initial
Catalog=winthrop;Net=dbmssocn;Auto Translate=True;Persist Security
Info=False;Use Encryption for Data=False

No comments:

Post a Comment