Monday, March 26, 2012

How to connect to remote database using MS SQL Server 2005

i'm using sql server 2005 developer edition. In sql server 2000, when i connect to my remote database, i just need to provide my IP address, server name with password in Query Analyzer. However, i do not know how to connect to remote database in SQL Server 2005. I did allow local and remote connection using Surface Area Configuration. However, after setting this, i do not know where to input the IP add, server name and pwd as well...>_<.

Who can help me? Thanks for ur expertise.

So you want to connect to another sql server instance through sql server 2005 query? Are you not able to type it in on the server name on the Connect to Server dialog? Don't use the drop down... type it in.

Hope this helps.

|||

Hi, thanks for replying.

I'm sorry, this is my first time to use SQL Server 2005, so i'm quite new for those features.

What i did is in the Object Explorer, there is the only one localhost server. I right click the server name and select connect. Then there is Connect to Server dialog, for the server name, i select <Browse for more...>, (i'm doing this because my database is located at other side through Internet.) However, i cant find any field for me to input my IP address for locating my remote database, username and password as what i did in SQL Server 2000 using Query Analyser before.

Thanks.

|||When you open the "Connect to server" dialogue box, do not choose "Browse for more", instead, type the IP address into the server name dialogue box, then your authentication details below this - does this work?|||Thanks, i get it..sql

No comments:

Post a Comment